Late Drop (PTD) or File Pass/No Pass

Late Drop/Permission to Drop (PTD) or File Pass/No Pass

The College of Letters and Science requires that approval for a late drop or Passed/Not Passed option after the deadline be granted only if unexpected circumstances beyond your control occur after the deadline. Late drops or Passed/Not Passed grading will not be approved for poor academic performance, change of interest, unavailability of graded work, lack of midterm result or lack of need for a grade in the class. Timeliness is crucial.  Your chance of approval diminishes the longer you wait. Following are the acceptable reasons and required documentation: 

Please note: The petition requires you to upload your personal statement and/or any other documentation you have to support your request.

Following are the acceptable reasons and required documentation: 

Reason: Increase in Work Hours 
Required Documentation: On letterhead, signed by employer. 

Reason: Medical 
Required Documentation: Recommendation from the Student Health and Counseling Center. ​​​​​​​(Note: Documentation regarding Covid-19 must apply to your immediate household).

Reason: Serious Personal Problem 
Required Documentation: Recommendation from a mental health professional. 

Reason: Death in Family 
Required Documentation: Appropriate documentation required. 

Reason: Other 
Required Documentation: Specific supporting documentation. 

Caution: Submitting fraudulent documentation is a violation of the Academic Code of Conduct and will result in a referral to the Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs.  

An appointment with an Academic Advisor in our office is required to initiate this petition process. Please schedule the next available appointment or visit our virtual front desk. Drop-in appointments are also available most days.

All petitions must be submitted and reviewed by the deadline for each quarter/session. You can find the quarter dates and deadlines on the Office of the University Registrar's website:

*Please note: You must be in good academic standing (grades/GPA) to opt for P/NP grading in a letter-graded course.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am repeating a course after taking it for a letter grade. Can I take it P/NP?
  • No.
  • Can I change from P/NP back to a letter grade during the quarter?
  • You can opt for P/NP grading in a course, or revert back to letter grading, up until the P/NP deadline. After the deadline your grade mode option cannot be changed.
  • Will taking a class P/NP impact my Academic Standing?
  • P/NP grades are not factored into the term or cumulative GPA calculations. To be in good academic (GPA) standing, you must maintain a 2.00 GPA (per term and overall) in all remaining letter graded courses. 
  • Will taking a class P/NP impact minimum progress?
  • Course completed with a P will yield units toward minimum progress. However, receiving a NP could drop you below the minimum progress average needed to remain in good standing for academic progress.
  • What factors should I consider before electing to take a course P/NP?
  • Important factors to consider include:

    Taking a course P/NP could have important implications for future graduate school admissions. Graduate schools may have prerequisites that require letter grading. If you have applied or are applying to a graduate program, please check with that program for information on how P/NP grading may affect your application.

    Receiving a NP may affect the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculation, which determines your eligibility for future financial aid. A NP may also impact your time to graduation.

    Veterans who receive financial assistance may have a strong motivation to take classes for a letter grade, as the receipt of a grade such as a “NP” can retroactively impact financial aid. Some branches of the armed forces require that students maintain a 2.0 or higher, or make progress toward degree completion; the P/NP option may hinder the ability to maintain this threshold. These are complex issues and students should consult closely with their advisors or the Veterans Success Center.

  • Can I change the grade mode after the quarter has ended?
  • Petitions for a retroactive grade mode change are reviewed by the Grade Change Committee in the Office of the University Registrar. NOTE: if you repeated a course that you had previously taken for a letter grade you cannot elect to change the grade mode to P/NP for the repeat. Additional information can be found on the Office of the University Registrar’s website. If you have questions, please check with an advisor in the Undergraduate Education and Advising Office.