Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the foundation of the College of Letters and Science at UC Davis. They are fundamental to encouraging free and open participation in the life of the college and are a requirement for free expression within a university community. Strength through diversity is a defining characteristic of the College of Letters and Science.
Letters and Science Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee
The College of Letters and Science DEI Committee advises the dean and academic leadership on targeted efforts and priorities to support diversity, equity and inclusion related to faculty, staff and students. Members of the DEI Committee serve a two-year term. The inaugural group began its work in fall 2023.
The DEI Committee is guided by the UC Davis Principles of Community and the Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Vision. It also aligns with the UC Davis “To Boldly Go” strategic plan in embracing diversity, practicing inclusive excellence, striving for equity and supporting a culture that values the contributions and aspirations of all our students, staff and faculty.
The DEI Committee’s efforts will include:
- Input on strategic investments to enhance and promote DEI efforts in the college and conduct DEI climate and engagement analysis to inform sustainable DEI initiatives.
- Supporting the university-wide effort to develop and implement policies that enhance diversity on our campus and liaise with the UC Davis Office of DEI to identify and help implement best practices supporting diversity across the college.
- Working closely with the departments and college leadership to develop and expand programs for undergraduate and graduate student success and inclusion and to support and expand programs to recruit, retain and recognize diverse faculty, staff and students.
- Highlighting the unique diversity, equity and inclusion contributions of L&S to the overarching culture of our campus.
2023-2025 DEI Committee Members
- Estella Atekwana (co-chair), Dean, College of Letters and Science
- Ron Mangun (co-chair), Professor, Psychology
- Ali Anooshahr, Professor, Middle East/South Asia Studies
- Diana Aramburu, Professor, Spanish and Portuguese
- Shannon Chee, Staff Member, Information Technology
- Sunjo Claris Nyuysoni, Graduate Student, Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Christopher Coleman, Graduate Student, Psychology
- Rene Flowers, Staff Member, Green Cluster
- Viviana Gonzalez, Staff Member, Mathematics
- Chris Hanssmann, Professor, Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies
- Brad Jones, Professor, Political Science
- Susan Kauzlarich, Professor, Chemistry
- Branwen Okpako, Professor, Cinema and Digital Media
- Mark Reyes, Staff Member, Undergraduate Education and Advising
- Olga Rodriguez, Staff Member, Statistics
- Anne Schilling, Professor, Mathematics
- Samantha Sime, Graduate Student, Sociology
- Teresa Steele, Professor, Anthropology
- David Wittman, Professor, Physics and Astronomy